Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Chequered Lily Apothecary Valentine's Day Swatches Part 2!

For today's post I've swatched the rest of the Valentine's Day collection by Chequered Lily Apothecary. If you'd like to see part one check it out here!

The swatches on the website are a bit misleading because of how sheer the eyeshadows look on bare skin in the pictures. When you see them in person though? You will not be disappointed. The older eyeshadows in the shop are beautiful in their own right, but the newer additions to the CLA line are mind blowingly gorgeous!

**I received these eyeshadows from a giveaway held by CLA. My name was put in a metal tin and randomly chosen. I was not asked to do a review, or compensated in any way. These are my 100% honest thoughts**

In February I won the monthly giveaway on the Chequered Lily Apothecary Facebook page, and won a sample set of the Valentine's Day collection. The samples I received included the two glitter blends, three eyeshadows and the single blush from the V-Day collection. And Kimberly (the owner) added two additional samples of Fireflies and Galaxy. For this post I am focusing on Lovesong, Hearts In Ice, Broken Hearts, and Enrapture of the V-Day collection.

 "For the Valentine's Day 2013 collection I was inspired by the the extremes of the heart, from the heights of passion to the depths of heartache. I looked to two modern poets, Kenneth Patchen and Pablo Neruda to guide my creativity on this project. I used #81 Love Like Winter for a starting point and worked in a confined color palette to create this collection."



Lovesong: "“As we are so wonderfully done with each other/ We can walk into our separate sleep/ On floors of music where the milkwhite cloak of childhood lies/ O my lady, my fairest dear, my sweetest, loveliest one/ Your lips have splashed my dull house with the speech of flowers / My hands are hallowed where they touched over your/ soft curving./ It is good to be weary from that brilliant work / It is being God to feel your breathing under me/ A waterglass on the bureau fills with morning.../ Don’t let anyone in to wake us.” -Kenneth Patchen, “As We Are So Wonderfully Done With Each Other”
and of course, “However far away/ I will always love you...” -The Cure, “Lovesong” Metallic burgundy-red with red pearl and blue glitter and iridescence.
"

Pretty spot on description, though I would say the base color is more of a mauve-ish burgundy.

Hearts In Ice: "“Speak softly; sun going down/ Out of sight. Come near me now./ Dear dying fall of wings as birds/ complain against the gathering dark.../ Exaggerate the green blood in grass;/ the music of leaves scraping space;/ Multiply the stillness by one sound;/ by one syllable of your name.../ And all that is little is soon giant,/ all that is rare grows in common beauty/ To rest with my mouth on your mouth/ as somewhere a star falls/ And the earth takes it softly, in natural love.../ Exactly as we take each other.../ and go to sleep...” -Kenneth Patchen, “Fall Of The Evening Star”. Royal blue with subtle violet undertone and intense red iridescence.
Perfect description! And an abso-fucking-lutely beautiful eyeshadow!

Broken Hearts: "“I write the lips of the moon upon her shoulders. In a/ temple of silvery farawayness I guard her to rest./ For her bed I write a stillness over all the swans of the/ world. With the morning breath of the snow leopard I/ cover her against any hurt./ Using the pen of rivers and mountaintops I store her/ pillow with singing./ Upon her hair I write the looking of the heavens at/ early morning./ -- Away from this kingdom, from this last undefiled/ place, I would keep our governments, our civilization, and /all other spirit-forsaken and corrupt institutions./ O cold beautiful blossoms of the moon moving upon/ her shoulders . . . the lips of the moon moving there . . ./ where the touch of any other lips would be a profanation.” -Kenneth Patchen, “There Are Not Many Kingdoms Left”. Blue-violet glitter blend with ruby red and pink and blue iridescent glitters."
The red and pink glitters are very subtle compared to the blue, but it makes for a lovely combination that doesn't look like boring, flat blue. 

Enraptured: "“Be a voice, sky, / That her beauties may be counted / And the stars will tilt their quiet faces / Into the mirror of her loveliness...” -Kenneth Patchen, “Be Music, Night”. Rich orange-toned red with slight red shimmer, HIGHLY pigmented."
For. Real. This is like an extremely pigmented blush. SOO pigmented! This has a matte, warm toned red base with a delicate amount of red shimmer. I think this would be a nice eyeshadow too.



 













 























2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, those are amazing swatches! I'll add this company to my list :)

Annelise said...

Thank you! You should definitely check Chequered Lily out, one of my top favorite brands.