Saturday, March 27, 2010

"The big four" Vogue

I was perusing through the new spring patterns for "the big four" pattern companies (Vogue, Simplicity, Butterick and McCalls) and I wasn't all that impressed. There are a few cute dresses, but not a whole lot yells "BUY ME NOW". Vogue, as usual, has awesome retro inspired silhouettes and some very out there separates. Example number one: Super duper cute retro dresses! Sometimes Vogue isn't so good at styling the outfits and picking out fabrics, I must say though, everything about them is fantastic! Even the hair is awesome!1174 by Cynthia Steffe. "Close-fitting, strapless, lined dress has seam details, piping trim, princess seams, foundation with boning, side front pockets, pleats and darts, above mid-knee length." I love the whole look, I am especially drawn to that fabric. Does anyone know of something similar to it that I can buy at a reasonable price??? 1176 by Michael Kors. "Close-fitting, lined dress with front pleated bodice loop, princess seams, front and back darts, back slit, left side zipper, shoulder straps and self bows. Belt has self loop and purchased buckle with prong and eyelets. Length is 2" below mid-knee." That dress strikes me as something Marilyn Monroe would wear.


Now for the just "okay" patterns that with the right alterations and fabric could be really cute too.1183 by Kay Unger. "Fitted, lined dress, above mid-knee length, has princess seams, midriff, straight skirt, back zipper, slit and topstitch trim." I think if the topstitching was in a contrasting color it would make the neat detailing and asymmetrical design of the bust area a lot more interesting.
8645 Very easy Vogue. "Loose-fitting, pullover, lined dresses A, B have front and back v-neck, removable shoulder ties, side seam pockets and sash. A: slightly flared, mid-knee length. B: flared, lower calf length. A, B: topstitch trim." This dress totally reminds me of Marilyn Monroe's white dress with cherry print from "The Misfits". Only hers was a tight, curve hugging silhouette rather than a flowy, swingy one like 8645.

Next are the less than attractive patterns Vogue has put out for spring. I don't in any way, shape, or form mean to be insulting or rude, but I really don't like these next ones lol. So, I apologize if my opinions aren't the same as anyone else reading this. They are just that though, MY opinions, so take everything I say with a grain of salt!8659 The Vogue Woman. "Very loose-fitting, bias, pullover tunic A or dress B has three-quarter length sleeves, narrow hem. B: above ankle, shaped hemline. Semi-fitted pants C with elastic waist and lower calf length." If only looking at the top half of 8659 it would seem very very boring, then looking down at the bottom half it's like... wtf??? Why are there these cape-like folds hanging from her armpits? I really don't see the aesthetic of it. If someone could tell me I would really like to know! lol!

1185 by AKO: Andre Katz Objects. "Jumpsuit has front and back pleats, shaped front and back yoke, side patch pockets with smaller pocket inside, relaxed lower section gathered to hem band and back snap closures. Lower calf length." This reminds me of an updated 90's frilly collared jumpsuit, that thank god my mom never dressed me in lol. In case that's your kind of thing, you can actually still buy the original pattern!
For the ugliest of them all...
1181 by Chado Ralph Rucci. "Loose-fitting, floor length caftan with overarm dart, front opening, long sleeves, shaped middle and lower sections, topstitching, hook and eye closure." I'm not sure what a caftan is... nonetheless... it looks like an obscene muumuu. With the shiny pink material it sort of looks as though she wanted to dress up as a giant mutant vagina for Halloween hahahahaha.

Last but not least, Vintage Vogue! Normally this would be my favorite category, yet, I was really dissatisfied with the TWO new vintage patterns. Sigh, only 2...
1172 Vogue Vintage Model. "Below mid-calf length, sleeveless dresses A, B have close-fitting V-neck bodice with princess seams and extended shoulders, flared skirt with godets, side zipper and inside belt. Self-fabric or purchased belt."1171 Vogue Vintage Model. "Fitted, below mid-calf length, flared sleeveless dresses A, B have sailor collar, front and back pleats with waistline seam, button closure and belt with prong. A: contrast collar with purchased trim."

Anyway, as you can see they are not real elaborate or detailed. Both have the foundations of pretty dresses but little things about them seem to fall short... The first one is elegant, yet too simple. The second is nice except for the collar. The collar appears too wide at the base maybe? It looks slightly off to me... oh welllllll.

Gabe is eating my chin so it's time to go! Lol!


-Ana

No comments: