Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Choosing the perfect red lipstick



Other than starting up my blog today, I took my 6 1/2 month old son, Gabe, out for a walk! We went out to lunch with Marz and then we took a looksie around Walgreens' make up section. (which is seriously lacking some major updates...) I've currently taken on the great task of finding my perfect shade of red lipstick, and as every sassy vintage gal knows, red lipstick is a must!

I learned that fair skin goes well with blue-ish red shades, which are more on the pink side. Warm or yellow undertones go well with warmer orange-ish reds. Berries work well for women with cool undertones. Mahogany reds and maroons compliment dark complexions. finally Brown-ish reds flatter a wide spectrum of skin tones. Of course, everyone is different - I figure that finding the best lipstick requires lots of shopping and experimenting!

I'm very fair skinned, but I still wasn't sure if I liked the pinkish red on myself. (If you're in the same boat as me I'd suggest going into your local Sephora and trying on tons of different shades and styles). I figured a good place to start was a nice, classic, red not too pink and not too orange. I liked the bright red but I was surprised to see that a slightly orange-ish red with a matte finish looks fantastic on me! A matte finish is basically a fancy term for lipstick that isn't real shiny or glossy looking. I like matte finishes a lot 'cuz I feel like a bright, glossy, red lipstick would be over-kill. But hey, that's just me!

With that in mind, I decided upon Revlon's
"Certainly Red". It seems like the best choice at the moment (especially since I found it on sale!).

"Certainly Red" is from Revlon's Super Lustrous collection, It's more of a bright classic red with a very, very, slight orange tint to it. Unless you knew the orange was there, you wouldn't even notice it. On Makeupalley.com "Certainly Red" got an average rating of 3.6 out of 5. Over all, it seems most women thought it was bright, long lasting, was a light weight matte and applies smoothly. The only negative comment was that it faded to a fuchsia pink color - I guess I'll just have to find out for myself!


-Ana

No comments: