Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Challenge Calendar: Disney look + review Maybelline Mythical Mermaid

Today's challenge is Disney inspired! My whole life (even to this day) I have loved Disney movies, especially the princess movies. My all time favorite being Belle from Beauty and the Beast. But thinking making up wise, Beauty and the Best doesn't have the same impact as The Little Mermaid. The original Little Mermaid (A favorite story of mine), written in Denmark during 1836 by Hans Christian Anderson, is a beautifully sad story of love and sacrifice. If you haven't read it you're missing out! While the story is not as good, Disney's Little Mermaid is bright and colorful and has an uplifting happy ending. That's what I decided to go with!

Mermaids remind me of... Sunlight reflecting off the ocean... Brightly colored sea glass rubbed smooth by the surf... Bubbles shimmering in translucent waters... And dark, murky green seaweed... What does that remind me of? OH YAH! The Mythical Mermaid quad by Maybelline! lol...



(L-R) Shimmery light yellow with a slight green tone, Shimmery pale mint, Super bright blue toned turquoise and Shimmery forest green with aqua and teal sparkles.


Every color in this quad is super smooth, velvety and nicely pigmented! So gorgeous, I'm totally in love with it! I realized I don't talk about what other products I use for each look, so I'm going to try and be better about that. I always start with ELF eyelid primer and since its a green look I used Maybelline Dream Mousse Shadow in Mint Dream as my base. I love the mousse shadows because they are very soft and silky and feel "whipped" which is where the mousse part comes from. To apply, I swipe my fingertip across the top of the product a few times and apply a thin layer over my whole eyelid. It leaves a smooth, slightly shimmery wash of color and in a few minutes it is dried completely to a powder-like finish. In those few minutes as it's drying it has a dewy feeling that is perfect for applying eyeshadow.



Swatches below of the Maybelline Dream Mousse Shadow in Mint Dream (top left) and Blue Heaven (bottom right) The colors aren't strong or vibrant, so I wouldn't use it as an eyeshadow on its own.













I used Prestige eyeliner in Rhapsody on waterline, Prestige liquid liner in Big Teal on top lashline and Kat Von D tattoo liner in Trooper on lashline at base of eyelashes. Mascara is L'Oreal Double Extend mascara in black.



This is L'oreal Yellow Seahorse from their new Summer Siren limited edition line. It's has a thick almost "gooey" formula that most of L'Oreal's polishes have, it's sheer and takes 4 medium coats to get opaque. It has super pretty orangey-gold small glass fleck like glitter in it. I tried to capture the sparkliness in the picture below.




 To get a scale like fish tail effect I used medium sized glitter. Sheer orange with a green sheen in the top left corner of the nail going across diagonally. Then metallic green scattered across the edge of the orange and finally the iridescent clear glitter along the edge of the green.





ANA

No comments: